2/09/2009

Kagoshima



My school's located in Kagoshima City. It's the largest city in Kagoshima prefecture, which is the southernmost prefecture on Kyushu island. Believe it or not, of the 3 cities I've lived in in Japan, this is the biggest one. I'm judging the size of the cities by a very unscientific method: namely, Kagoshima has more department stores than the others. ;-)


Kagoshima is most famous for Sakurajima (literal translation = cherry blossom island), which is an active volcano. I see plumes of steam and ash coming out of it from time to time, but I've yet to witness any major eruptions. I heard from locals that, over 10 years ago, ash would fall over the city in such great quantities that you'd need an umbrella for cover.
Sakurajima in action




Align Left














I like this city for the greenery. The city plants more trees, flowers, and grass (yup, grass in Japan is rare) than any other place I've visited in Japan. You can even find palm trees in some parts of the city - which is maybe why Kagoshima is sister cities with Miami?


1 comment: